Remember Kindergarten? How it felt like you stepped on a moving a walkway, they started growing up so
fast? Middle school is faster. You’re only in for three years and in that time the growth spurts alone are
amazing (be prepared to be looking up to make eye contact by 8th grade). They will hit the ground running to cover incredible amounts of curriculum, have new opportunities for enrichment, sports and gain confidence and independence. To help you begin your navigation of Athey Creek, we put together some informational helpful tidbits:
- Being connected is KEY to know what’s happening at Athey Creek. First sign in to the West Linn / Wilsonville List Serve https://listserv.wlwv.k12.or.us/self-service/ Make sure you subscribe to
ACMS-Homes. Communication from the school arrives in your inbox every Monday entitled – Athey Notes, it’s usually long but full of useful information.
- You can also follow the Athey Creek Middle School PTSA on Facebook, check out our webpage at
http://www.atheycreekptsa.com to read minutes and learn more. If you are not on Facebook you can find us on Instagram – athey_creek_ptsa
- To help students gain that needed independence, parents aren’t in the classroom any more. There are still lots of opportunities to help out from 15 min to a few hours, be sure to fill out the volunteer interest form that will come home the first day of school.
- PTSA – sign up, we’re a pretty friendly group, you won’t be forced to volunteer if you show up to a meeting, you’ll get to hear the principal update us on the school events and if you find an event you’d like to help in, you just might meet like-minded new friends!
- TASA – Teacher and Staff Appreciation, a luncheon put on by the PTSA and volunteers each month.
- Turkey Trot – Athey Creek’s fundraiser, students ask for donations and then run an obstacle course in themed costumes. Tons of fun and raises $10- $17K for student services.
- Garage Sale – PTSA’s Biggest fundraiser – Drop off donations starting in December for our sale in April, we raise $14- $20K, which go toward TEACHER GRANTS. This benefits all our kids at Athey.
Our Garage Sale is Saturday April 27th 8-4pm & Sunday April 28th 9am-1pm 2019
- Turning Point – 6th grade only event in September to help meet and bond with friends. Sign up your child & up to volunteer. Great way for you to meet parents of kids from other schools, start a network. A great social/bonding event for kids & parents. See packet mailed this summer for more info.
- Dances – we have a Back to School Dance and Winter Dance and a Spring Dance, tickets are generally $5 all money raised goes to pay for 8th grade Graduation party.
- Outdoor School – an amazing science program, 4 days, 3 nights, there is a parent meeting beforehand to give you more information. Kids LOVE it and learn quite a lot.
- Enrichment – typically in the mornings before school, chess, guest lecturers etc. For afterschool sports that are ran by Athey, there will be an activity bus.
- There is a lot of information on the Athey webpage https://www.wlwv.k12.or.us/Domain/8 especially on the calendar use it to mark your home calendars. If you get a chance, try to attend drama productions, robotics competitions, etc.
- School Store is open a few times a week (this year it was Mon, Wed, and Fri) selling snacks and school supplies. Volunteer and you get to see your kiddo at lunch and meet their new friends.
- Grades are available online, be sure to check into your child’s account. Most homework assignments and project guidelines are posted. Doesn’t hurt to check on binder organization once a month.
- Parent Teacher Conferences and Back to School Night – the three times you get to meet your child’s teachers and ask questions – GO, be organized, have questions ready.
Athey Creek PTSA Board Positions
President – Tracy Gilday
Vice President – OPEN
Secretary – Tiffany Santoso
Treasurer – Shana Mesinovic
Membership Coordinator – Lisa Newbore
Volunteer Coordinator – OPEN
Student Store – Kim Jordan & Anne Emerson
TASA (Teacher & Staff Appreciation) – Rachel Stevenson & Heather Anderson
Parent Education – Elaine Morelock
Directory – OPEN
Turning Point – Girls – Amy Olson & Julie Henry
Turning Point – Boys – Tara Smith & Cindy Anderson
Dances – 1. Dee Putnam – 2. OPEN
Spirit Wear – OPEN
8th Grade Celebration – Rachel Stevenson & Laura Greyerbiehl
Decorate Display in front entrance of school – Dee Putnam
Website Coordinator – Sydney Cadwell
Garage Sale – Jennifer Teague
If you are interested in any of these positions, please contact Tracy Gilday –email@example.com